Wednesday, November 20, 2013

JESSIE SPENCER EXCLUSIVE: Dana Coppafeel - Villain Type Steez [Prod by: Mammyth] From the upcoming 7-track EP, “Uni.Fi Records Presents...Dana Coppafeel and SPEAK Easy.”

unifi*records’s avatar

Uni-Fi records

Uni-Fi Records
Milwaukee, United States
Uni.Fi Records is an independent record label based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Their purpose is to give underground hip-hop artists the support to share their talent on a broader scale, to make a positive impact on the entertainment industry and in local communities, and to prove that you don’t need to be mainstream in order to achieve success as an artist.

 Dana Coppafeel - Villain Type Steez [Prod by: Mammyth] Uni-Fi Records Prod. by: Mammyth Lyrics by: Dana Coppafeel Mixed by: Charles Forsberg of Mammyth Audio Mastered by: Kelly Hibbert of Alma Chrome Sound UNI-FI RECORDS

SPEAK Easy and Dana Coppafeel? Milwaukee Hip-Hop's Unlikely Duo Talk about Their Upcoming EP...and More


It’s hard to think of two more opposite Milwaukee-based emcees than outspoken veteran Dana Coppafeel and low-key breakout artist SPEAK Easy. In fact, it’s their very differences that inspired Uni.Fi Records (the label that represents both rappers) to pair them up on an experimental and ambitious new project — the upcoming seven-track EP, “Uni.Fi Records Presents...Dana Coppafeel and SPEAK Easy.”

Coppa, of the recently defunct group KingHellBastard, has been a standout in the region’s underground hip-hop scene since the mid-90s. Few Milwaukee rappers have a résumé as long or as impressive as his, which includes opening for legendary artists like Wu-Tang and  Common, as well as a recent collaboration with Action Bronson. Once called a loudmouth by the press, his often aggressive tone and sharp-edged wit reflect his roots as a battle rapper.

By contrast, SPEAK is a smooth, earnest storyteller known for his true-to-life lyrics and off-the-mic humility. Although he’s been rhyming for more than a decade, it was his debut as a solo artist in 2009 that earned him critical acclaim and a well-deserved spot among the area’s most talented emcees.

The almost-complete EP — which features notable collaborators like Toronto producer Frank Dukes, Minneapolis rapper MaLLy, and hometown hero Prophetic — was born from Uni.Fi owner (and contributing producer) Dima Pochtarev’s vision to push the rappers’ limits. Although stylistically different, the two have the same merciless work ethic, which may factor into why both say this has been one of the best projects they’ve worked on to-date.

This fall, I sat in on a few recording sessions with Uni.Fi and talked to the unlikely duo about the EP and their working relationship.

On How the Collaboration Came About

D: This is some of the best stuff I’ve been working on, even though wasn’t even my idea. I’m mad about that too. No, I’m just kidding. But not a lot of labels do that — bring two totally different artists together and say, “Hey, we wanna make this joint album where everybody has input, everybody has say.”

It’s Uni.Fi’s doing; they wanted this. I think it’s a great representation of what Uni.Fi brings to Milwaukee and Wiscosin.

S: It’s about, “Let’s push ourselves beyond our comfort level; Let’s do something we haven’t done; Let’s go further.” Trust me, I’m way out of my lane with this project. It’s pretty cool, I’m loving it. Even with the video, everything is stepping outside of our comfort zone.

D: We just finished shooting the video for “One of These Kids.” Proph [rapper Prophetic] — that’s the guy. He happened to be in town and came through for it. We just had fun. It’s not the typical beat or the typical song that I would push. It was really Xavier [video producer Xavier Ruffin] who picked it to be honest. He’s the one that said this is the one we should present first. I like that even a person who’s not involved directly has a say in the direction we’re taking this project.

On the Project’s “Open Door” Policy

S: What keeps coming to mind to me is that the whole project is open-minded. No idea is being shunned; there’s nothing we wouldn’t consider or think about doing. Whether it’s other artists or videographers or other people we’re recruiting to be part of the project, it’s definitely open-minded music.

D: It’s open door music too because we’re trying to get as many talented people as we can involved. I personally have made a lot of albums where it’s always just me and our process and my team, and I don’t want anybody to see or hear anything until it’s done.

With this it’s a different. I want people to hear and see it, and not only that, give their input. So that’s one of the cool things about this process and this project — it’s not just me and SPEAK making all the decisions. There’s a lot of people taking part in what we’re doing. It’s about getting a different ear. Let’s get somebody talented to come in the studio and have them listen to it and give their two cents. And if we like their two cents, have them author that.

S: I think everybody we’ve connect with is invested. In reality it’s not just Uni.Fi project anymore, and I think that symbolizes what Uni.Fi embodies. If you think about it, it’s very self-explanatory. We want to put out the best project we can, so how do you do that? You give your best and you include the best.

D: One beat could be touched by three people. I don’t want to be satisfied with just my raps and a beat and a hook. We want a whole product with no filler. Sometimes you get casual with your relationship with recording. This isn’t a casual project.

We wanted it to be more progressive, more now, but at the same time have a throwback feel. Even before we record a song, we talk about the beat for like a f****** hour: is that what we need or is that what’s missing? We’re not just rapping over a beat, we’re creating songs. We’re also getting more musical input by getting artists involved like Klassik [rapper/jazz musician] or Da Ricanstrukta [producer/guitarist], who are doing more than just making beats. They’re doing co-production and studio instrumentation work to the beats so we can have more options on how it breaks.

S: Having more musical elements pushes us to the next level, and having other artists come in and add their own personal flavor makes it that much better.

On Working Together 

S: We come from different walks of life and differ on certain views. I actually think that’s what makes our music click. That’s the beauty of life — meeting people who are nothing like you and still being able to bond.

In life, you’re always trying to be better, whether it’s on the job or in a relationship. I’m constantly looking to top myself. If you can’t measure progress, you should stop what you’re doing. I think Dana’s like that too.

D: It genuinely feels like we’re on the same page. Working with him has brought a new light to me. He’s helped me with my stuff. I’ve helped him with his stuff. (Can someone get me another beer?)

It’s been cool working with SPEAK. We’re not alike. I’m a family man, but he’s like the family DUDE. Sometimes it’s weird. I’m wondering, “Should I say this?”

I write some s*** and don’t know if SPEAK’s gonna like it, but then I spit and he’s like, “Yeah, just go with it.” I say, “But did you hear what I just said?!” [Laughs.] It just shows you that two opposite things can exist in the same room and still be able to be productive.

S: The reality is that Coppa’s a good dude. He’s a real good dude.

D: I’m an asshole though!

S: No you’re not.

D: Okay, I do have love in my heart. [Laughs.]

S: And, cue the violins.

****

I was really impressed with what I heard during the studio sessions. (Still can’t get “One of These Kids” out of my head.) If you already follow these artists, it’ll surprise you — in a good way. If you don’t, now might be a good time to start.

The project’s first single, “One of These Kids”, featuring Prophetic, will be drop at the end of the month. The full EP will be out in early 2013.
Dana Coppafeel

Dana Coppafeel

@danacoppafeel 

Soon to be a dairy farmer cus everything he makes is butter.. You seen me on , &...
Milwaukee, WI · soundcloud.com/unifi-records

Action Bronson, Riff Raff, and Dana Coppafeel - Hot Shots Part Deux (Produced by The White Russian)


No comments: